[relaxng-user] conformance and datatype libraries

David Tolpin dvd at davidashen.net
Sun Jan 11 17:23:03 ICT 2004

> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 17:03:53 +0400 (AMT)
> David Tolpin <dvd at davidashen.net> wrote:
>

> > Yes. And the problem, is that a datatypeLibrary, in the way it is specified, does not
> > provide means to check for it until the validation process reaches an attribute.
>
> I think that this is an API issue.  The RELAX NG Datatype API in Java provides
> DatatypeException.
>
> http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/api/datatype/org/relaxng/datatype/DatatypeBuilder.html

There are other languages besides Java.
The specification does not reference the Java API.
The XML Schema datatypes guidelines are not any datatype library guidelines.

Either the specification should state that a relax ng with datatypes not conforming
to the datatype library which is claimed to be supported is incorrect, and then
datatypeValid should be mentioned with datatypeAllows and datatypeEqual, or
this should be a validation error which should not be reported until a corresponding
data or value is met.

These two approaches are mutually exclusive. The current specification suggests
that they should not affect schema's correctness, only document validity.

RNV (http://davidashen.net/rnv.html) follows it.

But in my opinion it is not how it should be specified.

David Tolpin