[relaxng-user] line terminator in compact syntax

James Clark jjc at jclark.com
Sat Dec 6 19:14:47 ICT 2003

On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 05:09, David Tolpin wrote:

> But if I replace literal characters in the original source, the interpretation will
> be different, since #xD, when escaped, is not normalized to newline marker and is not
> a line terminator.

Any line terminators (whether #xD #xA, #xD or #xA)in the original source
have to be escaped as \x{A}.  Replacing a literal #xD by \x{D} would
only work if newline normalization happened _after_ escape
interpretation, but this wouldn't have been a good idea because plenty
of environments do line termination normalization on input.